COVID-19 Safety Protocol
To our DeMaio Orthodontic & Northampton Pediatric Dentistry Family:
We hope this letter finds you and your family in good health. As the coronavirus situation has unfolded, our community has been through a lot and all of us are looking forward to resuming our normal habits and routines. While many things have changed, one thing has remained the same: our commitment to patient & staff safety.
Infection control has always been a top priority for our practices and you may have observed this during your visits to our office. Our infection control processes are developed so that when you receive care, it’s both safe and comfortable. We want to tell you about the infection control procedures we follow in our practice to keep patients and staff safe.
Our office follows infection control recommendations made by the American Dental Association (ADA), the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). We follow the activities of these agencies so that we are up-to-date on any new rulings or guidance that may be issued. We do this to make sure that our infection control procedures are current and adhere to each agencies’ recommendations.
In addition to those precautions, you may see some changes when it is time for your next appointment. We made these adjustments to help better protect our patients and staff in the time of COVID-19. For example:
- Our office will communicate with you before your appointment to ask some screening questions & have you electronically sign a COVID-19 patient consent form.
- When you arrive at the office, we ask that you call the office to let us know you are here. At that time, a hospitality representative will meet you at your vehicle. We will review the same screening questions at this time to ensure nothing has changed since the pre-appointment phone call.
- We are currently asking that only the patient and if needed, one parent/guardian accompany the patient into the office. The hospitality representative will take the temperatures of all individuals prior to going into the office.
- We are asking that everyone enter the office wearing a mask/facial covering.
- We will have hand sanitizer that we will ask you to use when you enter the office.
- You may see that our waiting room will no longer offer magazines, children’s toys and so forth, since those items are difficult to clean and disinfect.
- Appointments will be managed to allow for social distancing between patients. That might mean that you’re offered fewer options for scheduling your appointment.
- We will do our best to allow greater time between patients to reduce waiting times for you, as well as to reduce the number of patients in the reception area at any one time.
- After your appointment, a patient care coordinator will be in contact to discuss any necessary follow up treatment & to schedule future visits, and collect payment. We will make every effort to have any forms or signatures needed delivered electronically.
- Children will now pick a prize from a “menu” and they will be handed their selection at the front desk.
We look forward to seeing you again and are happy to answer any questions you may have about the steps we are taking to keep you, and every patient, safe in our practice. Our goal is to have our office space be the safest place you visit all day.
Thank you for being our patient. We value your trust and loyalty and look forward to welcoming back our patients, neighbors and friends. We got this!!
Dr. DeMaio & team
Is it safe to be treated in your office?
Although a risk free environment does not exist, we are taking every measure to keep our patients safe. We have strict policies in place concerning sterilization of all instruments and sterilization of operatory surfaces. Our chairs are spaced to allow social distancing and we are moving to handle all administrative matters electronically.
Is your staff tested for COVID-19?
Although we don’t have the ability to offer testing to our team at this time, they are screened daily with a COVID-19 questionnaire and temperature checks. If they have a temperature or have a positive response they are immediately sent home and instructed to follow up with their physician for testing.
Is your staff re-using supplies?
We are not re-using any disposable supplies that come in contact with patients. Everything is properly sterilized after each patient.
Is this going to delay my child’s treatment?
Unfortunately the COVID-19 pandemic has temporarily forced all dentists to close their offices. This delay coupled with the reduction in the volume of patients we can see when we re-open will cause delays in treatment. Every case is different and the doctor will be able to communicate with you as to how much of a delay you can expect. The bottom line is yes, there will be some delay.
My child has an urgent matter that if not addressed now there could be a serious problem
We are making every effort to triage patients and to see cases that have the greatest need first. Please understand that we have many such patients and are doing everything in our power to get patients into our office in a timely manner.
Is it worth it to come into the dentist?
We feel visiting our office is as important as going to the grocery store. In these times more than ever dental health is paramount. Remember, dental health is connected to overall health. The healthier the teeth the healthier the whole immune system is. Our office will be the safest place you visit all day.